Saturday, April 5, 2008

Green Sites


1.Blogs on the Environment

The Sustainable Cities Blog

This blog was very interesting and useful. It showed me about the way that the
CUNY institutes are becoming involved in the environmental movement. It was
impressive. I liked finding out about some of the projects that are being done
in our city and around the country to get people involved in environmental
issues such as the Expanding Access to Science project were the foundation
called National Science Foundation sponsors trips for 300 people to the
continent of Antarctica for research purposes but also to encourage people of
diverse backgrounds to become apart of the science profession. It was wonderful
to hear that this foundation was paying for three students from a Harlem middle
school to go to Antarctica with their teacher and a science researcher. It
exposes the children to this field and puts enfaces on the environment as well
as give them an opportunity to experience this continent which they might not
have been able to otherwise.



The site gave me a lot of information on environmental issues in the city of New
York and the projects being done in regards to environmental issues here such as
City by the Coast which educates New Yorkers on the problems facing the city
with the water pollution in the water that surrounds the city. The project’s
objective is to get New Yorkers involved with developing strategies to
rehabilitate our polluted waters. There is a lot of information like this on the
site and there is also links like News on environmental topics, N.Y. Blogs were
people talk about the issues going on in the city and how it affects New Yorkers
and the environment and Environmental Groups that you can find out about. This
was one of my favorite sites.

Some cool websites on this site:
http://earthpledge.org/
This site tries to get business and government to help with producing sustainable products.

http://www.pps.org/
This site is focuses on topics related to building better communities environmentally, socially and economically.


2.Gristmill

This site was good but a little more difficult to keep up with. It seemed like a
site that was more for professionals or individuals who were involved in depth
with political and scientific environmental issues. I need things explained to
me in laymen terms when it comes to certain environmental topics or issues not
so scientifically technical or even politically. There were blogs from
individuals who seemed like they either were involved in politics or science
that spoke about environmental topics but I was lost in some of the subject
matter.



It is educational but extremely technical it at times put me to sleep which is
not really serving its purpose. There was some great links to web sites and
other blog pages that were really good sources for environmental topics such as
African American Environmentalist Association and even though some of the blogs
are difficult to read it is a site that speaks about every aspect of the
environment such as lead in toys, climate, legislation regarding the environment
and how business contributes to and against environmental issues, so you could
learn a lot on what is going on with the environment within all these different
departments (but beware you might have to do a lot of googleing for the explanations on a lot of the information being offered).



3.Green as a Thistle.com

Ok I have to be honest what Vanessa has done is commendable as I wrote in the comment I sent to her but I can’t help but to get a little annoyed at her cynicism. She is a great writer and very informative but the vibe of her blog seems to be off. It seems to be more like her high school diary than a serious blog about trying to go green which is a hard but great achievement. Maybe it is just me and the way I write is strictly with a direct purpose which might tend to get a bit boring a times so who am I to talk. Hey I am writing a bit off kilter for me so I might have been influenced by Vanessa’s blog. Instead of criticizing her blog I will point out the highlights that really caught me.


I really enjoyed the Loving it and Regretting it part of her blog because it showed the reader what worked for her like her tote bag that helps her save plastic and paper by not needing to use them and her electricity bill which is pretty much easy to figure out why. Then she gives you insight on what has not been working for her like her shampoo which I found out was grouse but environmentally friendly. This has always got me thinking; if I were to try these green methods do they all work or at least replace your old methods with equal convenience and pleasure? So I got my answer which by the way does not divert me from being inspired to try and go green. Overall I did like this site and will recommend it to people to view. It is different, Young, very attractive and an important site for the environment movement.

Cool website from this Blog:
http://www.cafepress.com/ This site has really trendy environmentally friendly clothing.
Green as a Geek

This blog reinforced some of my fears about certain people who start some of these ventures and that is that it is all for sensationalism and profit. I don’t want to judge this man who has been through a lot to try and take care of the environment by not contributing to waste and planting trees through organizations while ridding his bike not to pollute the air with more green gasses but when I heard he had a book and a movie coming out on it, this made me question his intentions and his sincerity. If this was for money and recognition than will he continue his plight for a better environment or will he revert back to his old ways all together and say “mission accomplished”? Well once again I will try not to be a pessimist like Vanessa and focus on the positive qualities of this site.



When no impact man spoke about comparing the way we as a society see the environment issues like we look at drug addicts as having no hope to change the destruction they do to themselves. This was a great comparison because it makes sense. This mentality is what stops us from helping everyone involved in the situation which ends up being the population. Let me give you an example:



People in prison are viewed as the garbage of society. We stick these individuals in a cage in prison and say throw away the key. Right? We as a society don’t even like the idea that our taxes pay for their room and board as if they are in some type of club med that we support, anyway we say NO to putting more funds into the prison system for rehabilitation purposes because prisoners #1 can’t be rehabilitated and #2 why should we pay for these creeps rehabilitation. In essence what we are doing is saying there is no hope to better the situation and give up but what people don’t realize is that some of these individuals can be rehabilitated and going into an environment like prison with no help usually perpetuates the individual’s behavior. If we rehabilitate these individuals than when half of them are let back on the streets they will not pose any sort of danger to society which means you and me.




This applies to the way we keep denying the environmental issues as if there is no hope anyway or why should I sacrifice my conformable lifestyle for the environment and the masses, Because it is going to destroy your future and the future of your family.

Good website:
http://solar1.org/ This site is set up by an environmental education center to educate New Yorkers on the environment


Eco Geek

This is a useful site because you can find a lot of products that are on the market or going to be on the market that are good for the environment. I have to admit I must have been in the dark but I never knew about all the alternatives out there for environmentally safe products. This site’s blogs are pretty good also. My favorite was the one where the person says that they are upset with the way humans in this country consume bottled water when we have clean water to drink and so many people in the world don’t aside from the environment repercussions from drinking bottled water.

I also loved the idea of the Zero houses. These houses are environmentally safe and use solar power. They need to fix all the odds and evens and have it available for people to purchase. I like it so much I will give you a website that is awesome and shows zero houses:
http://gizmodo.com/

Well that’s all folks because I am exhausted and my children will be waking up soon.
I put my comment for Vanessa under "The Final Post"

2 comments:

Jan Michael Dionisio said...

I liked ecogeek's page too! lol i left him a comment about the MTA issue he posted lol

Doctor X said...

WoW, Lisa--amazing post! I'm glad you found some of the blogs useful. Let us know if you keep checking one or another every now and then.

Also, interesting metaphor based on No Impact Man's "junkies"--we have created a prison and we tell ourselves we can't be rehabilitated. Nice.